Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why I Run

Why do I run? I'm asked this question even more often than "How do you run that far?" but not quite as often as I hear "I get tired driving that far" or some derivation thereof. So, I've always felt some sense of obligation to answer the question. I have never felt that I've really found a satisfactory answer for people who ask the question or really, for myself. But like so many things I keep doing it because I know it is good for me, I enjoy it and because someday I will discover a fulfilling answer. Today may be that day. And it is simple - as good things should be. I run because while I run I can see my own potential and it is always positive. I have never been on a run and thought to myself "Bard, you're going nowhere." I'm always going somewhere when I'm running. And I always see where I can go when I'm running. It is a meditation where I always see myself achieving something great. Finishing a race, achieving something in my personal life, doing something good in a relationship, fulfilling a life goal - you get the idea. Always good, even if it is only that I'm continuing to make forward progress when all the forces are against me. Running is the fermentation dish where good thoughts and self actualization breed. So run, spend time running easy enough to think good thoughts and see yourself going places.

3 comments:

Julie Clark said...

Very inspiring words. I'm sure it leads to that positive attitude we all love and respect. Awesome!

Becky said...

I meant to comment on this when I read it the first time :P
I think that is a great way to put it. There is a reason people use sports analogies when talking about life.

Bonnie said...

i love the same reasons for running! and one day when I was a little mad at someone or something i liked pounding the pavement the way I can't pound someone!