Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Misery Loves Company

Do you feel like he looks? Misery loves company, come commiserate with us.
Ah life. It has been a consistent hope and dream that our boys would not follow in my path of injury and accidents. Anyone who knows my accident history can testify that I have had more than my share of bumps, bruises, casts, surgeries and hospital visits. It would seem that although we have gotten by with only minimal injuries Brig and Kre are making a concerted effort to make up for it. As I am sure you have already seen (previous post) Kre fractured two bones in his foot and is now in a cast.
On Sunday we returned from our holiday trip to Utah slightly stressed about this week. Ricki has to memorize a whole new kickboxing release, I am leaving on Wed for my monthly trip to Seattle, Kre is in a cast, as well as Brig starting school again and I've been working till nearly 5:am every night.
Yesterday during our late afternoon stupor Brig took a hard fall off of the top bunk. It was evident by the sound of his scream it was no ordinary fall. I quickly immobilized his arm (very evidently broken) while Ricki made doctor calls. Our doctor took one look at it and confirmed what we already knew. It was broken. We had several nurses hanging around, and I was a bit concerned they were holding us while they called Social Services. Kre had just woken up from a nap and his hair was a mess (not to mention he had a cast). I had been working with only 3 hours of sleep and looked less than presentable.
They quickly sent us to a Ped-Ortho specialist who recommended we waited till early this AM to set and cast (he broke the head of the radius right off: see x-ray). Brig spent a miserable night in a temporary splint, none of us slept much, I finished work at 2:AM. Ricki was up at 5:AM with Brig, and at 5:30AM we headed back to the doctors.





Now I am behind in my work, Ricki is stressed about her release, two injured boys and my eminent trip. But we are all healthy and mending. Life moves on and we have so much to be thankful.

Like the characters in HellBoy I am going to give them code names "Red" and "Blue" for their casts.

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

I'm sorry but I am laughing out loud, and feeling sick to my stomach... strangely a normal combination for me! I love the Red and Blue!! It will be a bonding time for them I'm sure! I wish I was there to help Ric! Is it time to look for a place in WA again? LOL
and at least they won't be terrified of ambulances! You guys handle it great!

ken said...

I've seen a lot of things in my life. But that was AWESOME! Memo to me, no bunk beds.

McLerran Family said...

You guys have had more than your fair share of hospital trips! Hope he's doing better and things have calmed down for a while.

Becky said...

Oh Holidays... Nothing like them. If anyone can handle the stress you two are in, it is you!

Kristen Parnell said...

Oh man-- so sad. I do have to laugh picturing bringing both together to places-- church, etc. Hope everything worked out this week with traveling and the routine.

Bonnie said...

And by the way having social services come to your house is only embaressing for a few months, and then it dulls with time! :-)

The Brown Life said...

I am so sorry guys. Ricki if you need anything, just call. Kre can come over and play while Brig is in school so you have some time to yourself.

Efamily said...

I have been thinking about you this week. I really want to help you out, fix you dinner anything. I have been all tied up with seriously sick kids at my house and I am going CRAZY! Maybe what we need is a nice girls night out.....let's plan that.

Take Care.

M Occasionally B said...

poor boys! I can't believe that both of them have casts!