This year we decided not to send out a letter. What is another piece of paper that you will read once and throw away. Instead, we decided to bait you innocent readers shameless to our blog.
2008 was, as usual, an eventful year for us. In the beginning we cherished the new found hope of the new job I had been working in for nearly 3 months. It was nice to have an income even if I was spending nearly half of every month in Seattle and away from the family. We tried everything to move the family to Seattle so we could all be together. We looked at buying, we looked at renting, I even flew Ricki and the boys out to WA and spent several days looking at homes. Nothing felt right. We were disheartened but resolved to move forward in trust that the right thing would happen. I have continued to commute but the amount of time I spend in WA has been cut back significantly. Even though we wouldn't have chosen this situation it is offering us great blessings and wonderful opportunities. It is a testament to the blessing received by doing what is right, not necessarily easy. We love Fort Collins. Ricki loves teaching Kickboxing at the gym, I love running the trails, Brig loves his school and the sunshine is a perk.
When I started traveling significantly Ricki decided she needed something to keep her motivated. So I bought her a pass to the local gym. I figured she could drop the kids at the play area for a few hours and workout. Little did I know how this would change lives. Ricki instantly made friends with all the group class instructors and most of the personal trainers. It wasn't long after when she decided she wanted to be teaching too. So, this summer when we all traveled to Washington for the greater Parnell Clan reunion we were able to schedule our travel time so Ricki could take a very intense certification course. Now she is a very serious kickboxing instructor. I run on the treadmill while she teaches and even though there is a wall separating us with closed doors and and I'm running sprints, and I have my Ipod blasting, I can still sometimes hear her yelling at her class. And most importantly, everyone comes out smiling and sweaty.
So naturally I'm trying to keep up. Even with the strange traveling schedule I've managed to keep up with my running. This summer my family accompanied me to Crystal Mountain, WA to compete in the White River 50 Endurance Run; my first 50 mile race. I've started running ultras and am currently planning my first 100 miler sometime this next summer. I love working as a consultant. I work with a Marketing and Strategy Consulting firm in WA and work primarily for Microsoft. I also write fitness and training articles geared toward runners for an online training site EatMoveBecome. Life is good and I'm thankful for the trials that have made me stronger and the blessings I have received.
Speaking of blessings.... Brig is growing so quickly. He started kindergarten this year and is now growing exponentially. He is always telling me what he has learned in funny ways. One day we were driving down the street and said "Hey Dad, look at that tree. That is an evergreen tree. We learned about those in class." It seems like he is learning about everything. I love watching his mind opening. We are currently reading the Chronicles of Narnia together and in his free time loves to play Star Wars Legos on the 360. He is very smart and all the little girls in his class greet him as we walk up to the classroom door. I love being able to drop him off and pick him up occasionally. Another blessing of being a consultant.
Kre is easily matching pace with Brig. He is more physically adaptive than Brig was, daring to do things that he probably shouldn't: jumping off bunk beds and so on. He lives for Brig to come home from school so that they can race up and down the hall playing games. He loves to be outside regardless of the weather or temperatures and like his mom loves to be going places, doing things, and seeing people all the time.
This year we did things we didn't think we could. Ricki punished herself with long training days and midnight practices to complete her kickboxing certification; I ran 50 miles over 17,000 feet of elevation change in the mountains around Mt. Rainer; we are raising two boys who are loving and considerate. We have grown together and are especially thankful at this holiday season for the life and the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior. The perspective the the gospel brings, the power it has to bind and the blessings we receive are immense.
Love to all of you. We hope you are well, and if you are not our prayers go out to you.
Bard, Ricki, Brig, Kre.
Saturday, December 20, 2008
Parnell 2008 Family Letter
Posted by Parnell's at 9:54 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hope you guys have a GREAT Christmas!!!
We'll see you in a couple weeks!
Ali
Thats a great family letter! It's fun to look back on all the highlights!!
Post a Comment