Thursday, November 20, 2008

Focus

I was recently reading a book about parenting. It is a worthwhile read especially one section which describes the notion of enjoying being a parent rather than simply focusing on how to form our children into future responsible, well balanced, and self-sufficent adults. "Huh?" Enjoying parenthood? That's like saying I "enjoy" running 50 miles straight. I don't normaly say that I "enjoy" it, but it is rewarding......... so why shouldn't simply "being" a parent be rewarding? Why can't I "enjoy" being a parent? So I've challenged myself to enjoy being around my boys. Yes I'm still getting up tight sometimes but I find myself catching myself before I get angry or use harsh words. Yesterday I was sitting at my desk/kitchen table working when Kre spilt his drink on an end table in our living room. The boys are supposed to have their drinks in the kitchen. Right when it happened I stood up and Kre saw me coming. He immediatly shrunk down into a crouch with his arms around his legs and his head on his knees (very pitiful) and it hit me so hard that I hoped it was out of sadness for spilling his drink not fear of me. It was one of those moments that caused me to stop and seriously consider what kind of parent I am and reinforced the fact that I should be "enjoying" my sons not constantly getting after them. It is a goal that I can help my boys grow to be men, but I am trying also to enjoy my time with the. So I hugged him and helped him clean up the mess rather than get mad at him for spilling. Then we discussed that we don't have drinks in that room. All in all it has been a great focusing moment. Focus people, Focus.

5 comments:

Bonnie said...

I have totally had those moments of clarity! Good for you for recognizing it and acting on it imediatly!! I sometimes lay in bed at night and think of all the impatience i showed that day and vow to be better!! I think you are great! And please enjoy the moments they are great boys!

Kristen Parnell said...

I like that. It's easy to have all these ideals of how I'm going to be as a parent, but I know it'll be the true test when I actually have a child! I was thinking I need to practice enjoying being all of my roles... not that I don't enjoy them, but I get too caught up in the details sometimes. I was just groaning thinking that I really should be getting ready for work and not checking blogs. Anyway-- good reminder.

Happy 200 days! That's so cool. I swear my countdown has been stuck in the 150's for 3 weeks :)

Taylor's mom said...

Share the book, I'd like to read it. I really enjoy your posts. Hope we can get together soon.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Parnell's said...

Bard your Awesome! Thanks for the vacation. I can't wait to see you guy's this week!
Love, Ricki

Taylor's mom said...

Ric-what's your address????