Let me start off by saying thanks to Ricki and the boys who tolerate my training and support me in running down my dreams (pun intended) if they were not on board I would not be able to do what I do. Thanks to Mom and Dad who inspire and support me, and only occasionally hint that I should chase a less painful goal. And of course my Heavenly Father who created this incredible planet to explore and created the human body that I get to push to the limits.
Yes this is me, running at nearly 6000 feet elevation and yes, that is Mt. Rainer in the background. This was about 15 miles into the race, just after a 10 mile climb. I have posted the course profile for everyone to see, mostly to remind myself just how difficult it was.
We drove down to the course the night before and stayed in a "Quaint" little hotel. Ricki wasn't too impressed but the boys loved the twin beds in the loft. I was up and O-Dark 30 to get ready after a fitfull night of sleep and Ricki took me down to the starting line.
You can see how mountainous this terrain was. I started the course easy, you can see the rock faces behind the starting line. Our first task was to climb to the top of those faces. I did not know this to start. I became intimately aquainted with that mountain. I soon found a group of 3 other runners, all first timers as well and we swapped training stories and kept each other motivated for most of the first half of the race.

The insane uphill trudge was soon moderated by a much too steep decent which had my quads cramping. By 27 miles I had left most of my friends behind and was making up time. The 27 mile mark was rewarded by a small cheering crowd near the starting line where Ricki and the boys cheered me on, fed me, supplied a much needed IPOD, but the boys didn't understand it when I started off again. Tired legs, an exposed 8.5 mile 3000 ft climb in the heat of the day was made emotional by cries of Krevan who just couldn't figure why he got to see me then watch me disappear into the woods. The support was awesome. You would run into the aid station. They would read off your race number and mark you down on their list. They keep track of everyone's progress to ensure no one gets lost. Then they fill up your bottles while you grabbed whatever you could eat (mostly P&J sandwiches, fruit, and sodium supplements for me. Occasionally a cup of Coke or Mt. Dew). Other than that I survived mostly
So yes I survived my first 50 miler, became stronger, faced a new challenge and overcame. Will I do another? Yes. Do I still want to do a 100? Yes. I'll start training just as soon as I can walk down stair unaided. My final time was 10:07:52. That translates to a 12:09 mile pace, not bad considered we faced over 17,000 feet of elevation gain/loss. I was 89th out of over 200 finishers, 250 starters. 13th in my age category. I'll look for a stronger finish next year. Thanks Ric for always wanting a picture with me and sharing in my adventures, it wouldn't be worth it without you!
4 comments:
OH MY GOSH!!! YOU ARE CRAZY!!!!!! That is awesome that you finished! GOOD JOB!!! 100 miles next! JEEZ!!!! It was so great to see you guys when you were here! When is the next Utah trip? :)
OK I got teary reading that, both from imagining the pain and also the love you and your family show each other, soo swqeet!! I am so proud and i think youre crazy!!
Wow, I am impressed. Also really jealous that you guys were in Washington.
I saw the pix for the Flegal family reunion and am so sad I missed it by a week. Maybe next year!
I can't believe that you ran that...it's amazing what our bodies are capable of with some training and dedication. Amazing job!
Post a Comment