It seems as though Krevan is the subject of many blog posts. Why is that? Perhaps it is his insatiable curiosity combined with a serious "do it myself" mentality. This last was a bit of a heart stopper. Picture the typical afternoon at the Parnell's house. The kids, crazy as usual running through the place, occasionally dipping down into what could be considered a dull roar (family rule and noise limit), Ricki and I are doing an intricate dance we call "making dinner", hot pans, food flying around the room, recipies on the recipes all the while trying to keep Keelyn from dragging chairs around the floor to get what she wants on her own.
Let me stop for a moment and add a bit of context. Krevan, unlike Brigen who was able to articulate sentences very clearly at a young age, still struggles at times to express some ideas. It isn't that he doesn't get it, just that finding the right words can at times be a struggle. Back to the story.
I find myself walking away from the kitchen for some reason when Krevan comes hustling into the house from the garage and mumbles something along these lines ... "Sorry dad, I thought it was the wiper but it went down."
(first thought) ... Ok.
(second thought) ... Um.
(third thought) ... Wiper... Down... Krevan were you playing in the car again? He admits yes, and says once again, "I thought it was the wiper, but it went down."
Ok, now i'm concerned and walking to the garage. Open the door, look into the garage and begin emergency assessment.
Fire ... non evident.
Smoke ... non evident.
Chemical spills (sniff) nope.
Look back at Kre - no blood evident.
Look back at garage. And at this point my life does one of those scenes from the awesome Sherlock movie. Time freezes and my acutely attune senses begin picking up things.
Access memory database ... Krevan said wiper, that would point to the car. Krevan loves playing in the car. Note to self - keys are not on the hook by the door. Note to self ... Garage door is up ... NOTE TO SELF ... CAR IS NOT IN GARAGE. NOTE TO SELF GARAGE AND DRIVEWAY IS ON A SLANT. OH S........ CAR IS ACROSS THE STREET.
Life speeds back up to real time.
Krevan is alive. There was no damage to the car. There was no damage to the house across the street which is thankfully uphill from the street and most likely prevented the car from running into it. Krevan is alive. No one was hit in his first, and only joy ride ... ever. Krevan is alive. I tried to make this humorous because Ricki and I didn't find this very funny. Ricky was sick the rest of the day. And given the history of a certain family friend, the harsh reality of the way this could have gone still scares me.
Monday, August 8, 2011
Misadventures of Krevan
Posted by Parnell's at 1:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You wrote this beautifully! I'm very sorry but I laughed at how you the wrote it, even knowing it wasn't really funny... at the time! I am so glad everyone and everything is ok!! this will be a major church talk, or something later!! I'm glad we share the horrible, sad, and good stories!!
Scary! I'm glad no major damage or injury occured! What a family story!
Post a Comment