Monday, November 9, 2009

Holiday Movies


I love the holiday season. I love Christmas lights, staying in shape while everyone else complains about the "holiday pounds", the good food (and subsequent increased mileage in my training), holiday music, etc. With the invention of the IPod it is suddenly easier for me to have, at the touch of a button any Christmas music my twisted little heart desires: from Manheim Steamroller, to Christmas with the Chipmunks.

I also LOVE Christmas movies. I don't know why. And since I don't have the cash on hand to purchase an IPod touch (recommended gift this holiday season) which greatly enhances the viewing experience over the traditional IPod, nor do I have the money to purchase all of my favorite holiday movies to put on the aforementioned and nonexistent IPod touch, I'll be digging my blockbuster rental card out of the dust from whence it currently resides and checking out all of my favorites. Here is a list that makes up most of my favorite holiday movies. And when I say "most" I do so in order to reserve the right to forget or otherwise let a good one slip from my mind. Please feel free to remind me of any that I miss.

And now....in no particular order.

1. Scrooged - because it makes me laugh.....and for the toaster.

2. Trapped in Paradise.....because it was one of the first "ritual" movies that Ricki and I established in our newly wed existence....and because it makes me laugh just thinking about it.

3. Walt Disney's 1983 "Mickey's Christmas Carol" for the memories.

4. The Polar Express, because I get to watch it with the kids, and because the opening scene with the train rolling in with Digital with the Bose cranking is awesome.

5. White Christmas, because it's tradition and Crosby and Kaye are timeless as was their "Sisters" routine.

6. Holiday Inn, because it's a classic and it has the word Holiday in the title.

7. Home Alone because it reminds me what it was to be young and inventive.

8. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation, to remind me of what can be Good, Bad, and Ugly about the Holidays.

9. Joy to the World (LDS production) because it's only 5 minutes long and brings the whole season into focus....and can be watched several times to keep the focus as needed.

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

wow you hit all my favorite!! I suppose Kirk would add maybe the first die hard since it's clearly a Christmas movie. other than that those are my favorites!!

The Brown Life said...

Nice movie selection. I love it. I am right there with you on that IPOD touch. That is all I want....oh and some Uggs. Have fun running!

Parnell's said...

Yes, I think we will have to compete on the ipod touch since if I get it it is for work and there for a write off! :) Also, I thing The grinch needs to be added! :)

Parnell's said...

I'm going to have to agree with the Grinch, both the new version and the traditional. Good call.